How To Compose A Research Paper Outline With A Thesis Statement: Simple Tricks
A thesis statement gives purpose to a research paper. It creates an overall point which the reader may agree or disagree with. What is essential is the statement effectively shows the position that you as the writer intends to take. In order to write effective thesis statement that will fit well within the outline of a research paper here are a few things to think about.
- Be Sure the Topic is Well-Defined. The statement is strengthened if the topic is limited in scope and not a general statement.
- Be Clear and Be Concise. There is no need to produce a lengthy or wordy statement that rambles. The rule of thumb is that two sentences are not necessary when only one is sufficient. The thesis statement should leave no question as to what you will be writing about in the content of your paper.
- Make It Bold. State firmly what you will be writing about in those sentences. It grabs the reader’s attention and adds integrity to the text.
- The Thesis Statement Should Answer One of Two Important Questions. These happen to be “why am I writing on this topic?” and “how will I approach the subject?”. The answer should leave no misunderstanding.
- The Text Should Not Be Written in First Person. Despite the two important questions to be answered, the statement ought to be in third person. It is already understood you are going to be writing the research paper.
- This is Something which can Be Changed. The research you conduct may result in different findings than what you originally thought would happen. It is justifiable to change the thesis statement if that happens. In fact, it may not be a bad idea to wait on composing the statement until you have completed the entire assignment.
- Write A Few Drafts of the Statement. This is an important part of the outline and the first writing may be weaker than you want it to be. You can play with the words a little bit to come out with a better sounding statement. A few drafts will be able to do that for you.
All this assumes that you have received approval from your instructor regarding the topic. The statement will need to be backed up by everything that you write and for this reason, you should be constantly referring back to it. You can think of this part of the outline as the glue that keeps the entire assignment together.
Professional custom writing service are writing essays since 2004.