How to write a dissertation proposal: what is my secret
Writing a proposal for dissertation may seem unnecessary work that just takes your time and distracts you from the actual work. You shall not believe these thoughts. A proposal is very worth the time and effort spent on it, as it will create the first influence about you in the eyes of your professor and will determine if you can be trusted with such an important and complicated work as the dissertation itself. If you want to appear before your professor as professional as possible, take the following advice.
- Study your topic. There is no easier way to fail at writing your proposal than not knowing enough information about want you will study later. Of course, this is just the beginning of your research and you cannot know everything yet, but it is very important to persuade your reader that you are keen on the subject and will cope with deep research and analysis of it.
- Define the relevance and necessity of your work. Make sure you understand the importance of you research yourself and can prove it to the others. Check for possible intersection points with the previous works and make sure that you will bring something new to the field. Otherwise you will risk getting your project denied and taken as unnecessary.
- The devil is in the details. As you need to create the best possible image of yourself, you surely don not want to spoil it with something as simple as structural and grammar mistakes. Follow the basic structure to make sure everything is included. Revise your proposal several times before you are confident enough to show it to somebody else.
- Make sure your thoughts flow smoothly. Each paragraph as to be logically connected to the previous one, you must already know it by this time. But it is of a dig importance as well to keep the information inside the paragraph itself logical and following the first key sentence. But do not try to follow the same structure for each and every paragraph – be creative.
- Be inventive in presenting your thoughts. Do not be afraid to use all the methods of information presentation in your proposal. Use graphs, charts and pictures when necessary to make the paper interesting for the reader and not that “dry”. Make the information easily to percept and to understand. Using different methods will only show your ability to use different approaches in presentation of what you know.